question-icon

Can Zoloft or Lexapro be taken while on Depakote?

Posted on Mon, 2 May 2016
Question: Im thinking of starting Zoloft or Lexapro again after many years off. just taking depakote 500mg (5 years) now mood stable but constant slightly
paraniod negative self thoughts with little depression. social anxiety too.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (9 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

If you are taking Depakote, this indicates you have likely been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. In bipolar disorder, antidepressants such as Zoloft or Lexapro have not been shown in large scale clinical trials to be more effective than placebo. I would encourage a medication such as Seroquel, which is approved for bipolar depression and can also help with anxiety.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist