Can Zithromax Z-Pak help to treat severe vomiting, diarrhea and weakness?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My daughter is in XXXXXXX without acces to a doctor. She has been vomiting with diarrea all night and is very weak. She has a Zpack/Zithromax, will it help?
How long does it take to get and answer from a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need of Antibiotics right now.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

It seems like she is having infection of her gut. Most of the time the infections is due to virus and sometimes its due to bacteria.

Most of the viral infections doesn't require Antibiotics as it will subside on its own in 2-3 days. So my recommendation is to avoid Zpack/Zithromax and observe for 2 days , if diarrhoea persists then you can take Zithromax it will help.

But for vomiting she needs to take some medicine like Emeset/Perinorm else she may not be able to take food/fluids and may go in for Dehydration.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.
Dr. Divakara