Can Zepatier cause swollen feet, bloating and diarrhea?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sun, 21 Jan 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm a 62 year old man infected w/ both HIV
as well as HepC I moved back to AZ after in in SF for 30 some years I was diagnosed w/ both in 2007 I am on SSDI & expected to exist on $7!00 per month plus full bone medical i have undergone two full i interferogn/ribovirin regimens neither being successful I am now presently on a regimeo new drug called Zepatier & am only 3 weeks into the treatment! I havent d srank alcohol in yearso have a history of drug abuse but am presently substance free! Since starting on the Zepatier I am experiencing belly bloating my legs & feet are extryemely swollen & I have chronic diarrhea is my liver finally failing me?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
investigation is required

Detailed Answer:

the information is not enough to assess your liver status. If the symptoms evolved after starting zepatier then the drug can be the cause. As many as 10% of patients receiving zepatier may experience diarrhea. Swollen legs and bloating require further testing as they cannot (normally) be attributed to the drug.

You should start by visiting your primary care physician for clinical examination. The doctor can detect abdominal fluid collection (ascites) and may get a good idea whether your heart is functioning well or not. Potential causes (besides cirrhosis) include heart failure, low albumin levels (due to proteinuria for example), drug side effects.

Important tests to do include a urinalysis (to detect increased proteins in the urine) and perhaps a 24 hour urine collection to test for proteins, serum albumin levels, a heart echo (to exclude heart failure) and a careful review of your medications to estimate the probability of a side effect.

Regarding your diarrhea further testing is required by an infectious diseases specialist as HIV and its complications may be related to it.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!