Can Zenflox be taken for UTI?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi doctor,
I am having problem with frequent urination from past 1month, went to doctor for the same and he gave me antibiotics. the problem is still there. Same thing happened to me in month of feb 2015 and i did all blood test and urine test. blood report for all test came negative where as some puss cells were found in urine that time. it took 1.5 months to cure that time and it again came back.
Please suggest me what to do , i am frustrated with this now.
i was taking ciprofloxacin 250mg for 2 weeks and later doctor changed medicine to some other antiiotic.
I called my family physician in XXXXXXX and he recommended me to take Zenflox UTI 200 2 times a day for 10 days.
Can i take Zenflox?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to do urine culture

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have repeated episodes of UTI over last six months

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Was your urine culture done before taking Ciprofloxacin .?

Normally UTI gets resolved if one takes appropriate antibiotic after culture report.

It is likely that the organisms may not be sensitive to Ciprofloxacin and perhaps that may be the reason for not getting relief .

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from qualified health personnel

Ensure to drink more water .To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Zenflox and Ciprofloxacin belong to same group of drug (Cephalosprin)

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 49 minutes later
hi sir
no i have not done urine culture this time. but last time when i did in march there was Puss cells found in the urine.
will this be a serious issue for my health .
also need to know what may be the reason its repeating again in 6 months?

thank you,
Brief Answer:
Presence of pus cells is detected in routine urine analysis .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
The presence of pus cells are detected on routine urine analysis ,where as culture detects the bacteria causing the infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to . .You need to get culture done .

It is not serious issue .

Incomplete eradication of infection is the cause for repeated infection .

Thanks and Regards

Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 days later
hi sir,
i asked my doctor to test for urine culture and he asked me to do urine feme test , the result is negative but still m not feeling well.
can you plz suggest what should i do.?? is urine feme same as urine culture and sensitivity test??

plz suggest
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urine feme test different from Urine Culture .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Your FEME test does not detect organisms causing infection where as Urine culture detects organisms and their sensitivity pattern so that one can take appropriate antibiotic to control infection .

You need to do urine culture .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 10 hours later
hi sir,
i went to my doctor here in singapore he is saying there is no puss cells found in FEME report so there is no need of culture test. but i still asked him to refer for culture test and i have given my sample for culture test now.

is it true sir that if my FEME profile is clear then Culture and sensitivity is not required??

please suggest sir

regards, XXXXXXX XXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
One can have UTI even if FEME test does not show pus cells .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

In view of you having previous history of UTI the possibility of infection has to be ruled out even FEME test is negative for pus cells .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 39 hours later
hi sir,
my Urine culture report came and it is showing no significant bacterial growth.
my problem is less but still not all right.i have few rashes on tip of my penis?? what may be the reason for that?

what should i do ahead now??
please suggest

regards, XXXXXXX XXXXX
Brief Answer:
Could be due to inflammation of meatus .

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

Did you have unsafe sex recently ?
he rash on tip of the penis could be due to inflammation of meatus.

Take Althrocin twice daily for 3 days along with anti inflammatory medicine Diclofenac twice daily .

Ensure to drink more water .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 27 minutes later
hi sir,
i never had unsafe sex ever..last time i had 2.5 months back that too i used protection after 45 days i started with this issue...
do i need to take out blood report??

regards, XXXXXXX XXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need of blood test .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

In view of not having unsafe sex it is not necessary to do blood test.

This could be due inflammation of meatus ..

Take drugs suggested for a week with topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin for local application over meatus

It should get cured within a week .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.