Can Zantac cause osteoporosis?

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Will long term use of Zantac cause osteoperosis? Because I realize that destroying the acid in the stomach negates the assimilation of calcium. Also, my acid reflux seems to be adversely affecting my vocal chords. I am in a quandry about this new prescription. Is it a "catch 22"?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle modification is primary.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Taking Zantac long term significantly increases the risk of osteoporosis. You have correctly pointed to the cause.

My suggestions for you would be:
​* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fibre intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep 20 mg tablet once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in).
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha