Can Xarelto be taken along with Dilantin?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: is it safe to take xarelto and dilantin 100 mg 1 a day
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes inspite of the interaction

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Dilantin decreases the blood level of Xarelto due to its effect on liver and intestinal enzyme .
This can lead to less than expected effect of Xarelto.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
you did not say if it is safe to do
this, also it seems to intensify the
dizziness and weakness, would that be the reason
for the dizziness,etc? XXXXXXX XXXX

Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually safe

Detailed Answer:
Dilantin decreases the effect of Xarelto but so its effect in preventing DVT may be reduced a little but not to a dangerous level So in the usual situation it is safe.
The swelling of the brain or interference with the blood flow is likeky to be the cause of dizziness.
It would be better to have a review with your treating doctor.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 29 hours later
how can we reduce swelling in brain or increase blood flow XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 38 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have to differentiate between the two and take appropriate medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Sorry for the delay in replying. We live in two different time zones.
First of all you would require to ascertain from your treating doctor whether you have any brain edema which would require different medicines than the medicines to improve the brain blood flow.
Pentoxifyline ( Trental) is believed to help improve the blood flow. Another supplement which may help is Ginkgobiloba.