Can Xanax be taken 5 hours after alcohol consumption?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: Yes i take Xanax for panic attacks , I had some alcohol 5 hours ago and I feel like I need to take a Xanax 1 mg is it ok
Answered by Dr. Ravi Soni 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would not advise that

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing through HCM.

I have read your query and understood that you experienced panic symptoms and have taken xanax to get relief, but do not mention the dose which you have taken.

Taking alcohol with xanax is not advisable because both of them act on the same receptor in the brain and inhibit brain's activity and thereby reduce anxiety. Combining both the xanax and alcohol can be serious and can interfere with normal functioning of your brain.

If you are suffering from anxiety disorder then consult a psychiatrist and take antidepressant drugs which will help you to control your anxiety. Xanax is not a long term treatment for panic symptoms or any other anxiety disorder. It gives temporary benefit by inhibiting brain activities and there by decreasing anxiety.

So, in my opinion you should not take xanax with alcohol and visit a psychiatrist for proper evaluation and management of anxiety symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further query then I shall be happy to help.
wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Soni 16 minutes later
I take Xanax for panic attacks my psychiatrist said I need them, I am not taking it together with alcohol I have not have any alcohol for more then 5 hours I take 1 mg 3 times a day , I took one this morning at 8 am and right know is 12:30 I am not drinking alcohol right know I wanted to know if it was ok I am going to go to sleep
Answered by Dr. Ravi Soni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow your psychiatrists' advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing again.

Taking xanax 1 mg three times a day is very bad kind of management of panic attacks. If your psychiatrist has prescribed it then take it.

Alcohol does not remain in body for long time. It is absorbed within 1 hour and metabolized and excreted from the body within next 2 hours. So at the end of 5 hours your body does not have alcohol. So take xanax as prescribed to you. Take the night time dose and go to sleep.

Management of panic attacks incudes antidepressant drugs not benzodiazepins. Xanax is a habit forming drugs and I usually do not prescribe it to my patients. 3 mg in a day is very high dose of xanax.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have further query then close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ravi Soni

Psychiatrist