Can Windose Syrup be given for fever in an infant?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Dear doctor sir, my 11 month old child baby suffering from fever I given p 125 , 3 times in a day with dosage of 1-2 ml but fever up and down between 100 to 102, I consult doctor he recommended windose syrup it is advisable or not? My living area temperature between 40 to 44 Celsius. Sir Pl guide me, thank you sir
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Give p125 and hold windose

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns but don't worry. The dose of P 125 is 10-15 ml/kg/dose for any infant. So, you need to give atleast 5 ml of syrup for every dose if your baby is around 8-10 kg. Repeat the dose every 6-8 hours if fever persists or recurs. Hopefully the correct dose will bring down his temperature to normal range and you will not need any second medicine.
I will not recommend you to give Syp. Windose to infants.
If fever persists for more than 3 days or its associated with any other symptoms, then investigating the child for bacterial infection is advisable.
Hopefully it will be of help.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 15 hours later
As per your suggestion we used only p125 follws you till temperature 101, the above mentioned syrp windose is for viral fever as per online information. Please tell me my baby suffering any viral fever?, she refuse to take fluids, actually in normal stage she takes water and other fluids, now she is not interested on fluids, please guide me about my child for good health, and which type of fluids are better. Can u suggest any good medican .
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Windose is not a recommended drug for this age group

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Windose is not a recommended drug for kids and infants. So avoid it's use. You may give Syp. Meftal P if the spikes are more than 102 and non responsive to P125.
Although most common reason for fever in this age group are viral in origin but it's important to rule out bacterial infection if the fever is high grade even after 3 days of illness or its associated with other signs of infection such as congested throat, bladder or bowel disturbances, change in sensorium etc. A good clinical examination by an expert pediatrician is useful. You may send me her complete history with attached images and reports if done for review.
Ensure regular feeds such as breastfeeding, formula feeds, semisolid complementary diet, juices in small quantities at frequent intervals to keep her well hydrated.