Can Wellbutrin cause tinnitus?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I started Wellbutrin xr 3 weeks ago and have developed a severe ringing in my years? Is this related?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is a very rare side effect

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are a lot of medications that can cause tinnitus.

According to medscape, tinnitus (abnormal sounds in the ear such a ringing), is a very rare side effect of this medication, occurring in 3 to 6% (3 to 6 out of 100 persons who use it ).
It is possible that fall into this category though you may want to consider seeing an ENT specialist to determine if this is the case or if there is another cause.

Causes of tinnitus include: (1) infection of the ear
(2)excess ear wax
(3)side effect of medication
(4)age associated hearing loss can have tinnitus
(5)meniere's disease
(6)trauma
(7)low blood count

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Ok Thank you - I'm also take concerta, topiramate, atenotol, simivastatin, ketoprophen, and occasionally tramadol - could these be interacting and increasing the risk? I will also check out the ear wax thing - I have had build up before.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
topiramate would stop the simvastatin from working well

Detailed Answer:
HI

Sorry about the delayed reply

There is an interaction between topiramate and simvastatin.
Topiramate will decrease the level or effect of simvastatin by affecting its breakdown.
This is found at docguide.com and medscape drug interaction checker.

Both atenolol and ketoprofen increase potassium levels but this increase may not be significant and may not have an effect on you.

Please feel free to ask any other questions