Can Wellbutrin, Ambien and Xanax be taken together?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 20 Oct 2016 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: I take 1 MG Xanax XR twice daily and 10 MG Ambien nightly to sleep. I also have .5 regular Xanax up to twice per day as needed for panic attacks. My Doctor has just prescribed Wellbutrin for my anxiety and depression. I haven't taken it yet because I read there's a conflict taking these drugs together. Let me give you some background. My son was electrocuted in 2009 and I lived in a burn unit for 7 months -burns 67% of his body and double below the knee amputations. He lived and had a total of 37 surgeries over a 3 year period for the burns (grafting) and leg corrective surgery to be fitted for prosthetics. I was on 3 mg of Xanax XR twice per day, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Buspar and Lunesta for 3 years after his accident. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD. I eventually weaned off all of the meds in 2013. In the past 2 years I started the Xanax again because my anxiety is off the charts. Eventually the Ambien was added because I wasn't sleeping. I'm back to the point where I need an antidepressant and I've heard good things about Wellbutrin, especially no weight gain. I've seen the same PCP for the past 20+ years. Psychiatry is very limited in my area - 2 doctors and months to get an appt. Is this a safe combination. I also take estrodial 1 mg - had a total hysterectomy in 2015 and .75 mcg of Synthroid- Thyroid removal in 2005. I'm not overweight, I do not have high blood pressure and my cholesterol, etc is perfect. I just turned 50 in August and I try to stay active but I am severely depressed and it isn't getting better, only worse.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

It is very safe and very reasonable to combine Wellbutrin, Ambien, and Xanax for the treatment of anxiety, depression, and insomnia. The goal would be to get up to a therapeutic dose of Wellbutrin and eventually wean off the Xanax and possibly even the Ambien entirely. There is no conflict with this combination of medications and indeed this combination should be highly effective for you.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee