Can Vyvanse be taken for ADHD?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Dec 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi!

I am a therapist and also an occupational scientist in WA. I have been treating kids, adolescents and adults with ADD/ADHD since the mid 90's. I have long suspected that I have ADD (my dad and sister were diagnosed in adulthood) and my 8 year old nephew was diagnosed about a year ago. I have only recently thought of trying Vyvanse as I've been hearing about positive results from a few clients over the past 2-3 years. I have developed all sorts of coping skills through the years but frankly as I age (I'm almost 50) and as life/career only becomes more demanding and complex...I'm recognizing that I'm not hitting my mark on multiple levels. I would like to move toward research/publishing over the next 5-7 years and am hoping to "retire" my practice (as I'm just burned out). I'm finding that so many areas of my life are impacted by my symptoms--from losing my keys daily, forgetting (again) to pay a XXXXXXX saving for retirement, paying attention in session, writing letters of rec for students, getting anything done in a timely manner, getting to work late every day (which throws my whole day off), meeting goals in general etc, etc etc--just continue to increase in number and intensity. It's just so disruptive to everything important to me. I need to practice what I preach and ask for some help. Spoke with a colleague (a prescriber) on Fri who also has severe ADD and after hearing her story...I just have to believe that meds can help.
My bf is 11 years older than I am and I want to be able to "retire" from the grind of a full time practice so this feels like a truly important time for me to leap. Hope I can get some help?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Since you describe your ADD to interfere with your daily functioning I would support the use of medication. The use of Ritalin has been shown to be beneficial (as you have experienced) and recent studies have suggested that it doesn't lead to a risk for drug abuse as it was feared in the past. You can try the lowest dose of 20 mg a day.

Of course that is after you make sure that you fulfill the criteria for a ADD diagnosis, ideally consulting a psychiatrist. That is because you should keep in mind that at times issues like anxiety or depression may affect concentration as well.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.