Can Vit B12 vitamins give false positive result for pregnancy test?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Will b12 vitamins give me a false positive on a pregnancy test I took a first response test and it came back positive and 5 one step test that came back negative I have been having brown discharge and spotting and my period is 3 weeks late so I went to hospital and got a urine pregnancy test done that came back negative she said I could be testing to early that I may have got lucky to get that 1 positive so I'm
wondering if the b12 cause me to get that one positive or if I'm pregnant
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
there is no eveidence that b12 can cause false positive results of urine pregnancy test. This test has lesser accuarcy when used in earlier phase and it is normally that certain perecentage of false positive results occur. So it is much more likely that other 2 tests were accurate so it means that you re not pregnant.