Can Viagra be taken for erectile dysfunction while on hypertension medication?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Mar 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been taking Corgard, 10 mgs., BID, for sometime, in combination with Lisinopril HCTZ and Zestril, to control hypertension. I am 68 years old and lately, I have been experiencing significant problems with maintaining an erection. I have considered obtaining a script for Viagra, but was wondering if it wouldn't be a better solution to ask my doc to try a different combination of blood pressure meds. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to corgard.

Erectile dysfunction is a known adverse effect of this drug.

For this reason, I would recommend switching from Corgard to Nebivolol or Bisoprolol, which do not impose to this adverse effect.

Regarding the other drugs that you are currently taking, I would not recommend making any changes, as they do not lead to erectile dysfunction as an adverse effect.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues!

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri