• question-icon

Can Viagra be taken after carotid artery surgery?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had a XXXXXXX stroke approx. 2 months ago. The stroke only lasted about 1 minute and left me with no physical damage.I later had surgery on my coroted artery removing the clot and rejoining the artery. I have had my heart and other arteries checked and they are ok.I am taking one asprin daily and lorstat 80 one daily.I am not diabetic nor do I have high blood pressure I was however a smoker but have quit since the stroke. My question relates to the resumption of Viagra.How long should I wait
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stroke is rarely a complication of Stroke.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Although, stroke has been rarely reported as a side effect of stroke, and that way can be used by you. However, it is not prescribed to patients with cardiovascular risk, because of its side effect profile.

So, I would say that there is no time restriction to start in your case, if you want to, however if possible you may avoid it.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 56 minutes later
so are you saying it is ok to use Viagra or would you wait another month or two.My coroted artery has been cleared 10 weeks ago.My cholesterol and blood pressure are at normal level.please give a more definite answer
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
If it is mandatory for you,use it.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

I mean if you need it, you can use it now as well. However, if you are the one, who is concerned about the minimal chances of side effects, avoid it.

Bottom line, if you think it is mandatory, use it.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist