Can Viaderm KC cream cause atrophy?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: 11 weeks ago i was prescribed viaderm kc cream for what my GP believed was balantis.

I was was prescribed a course of twice daily for 7-10 days to be used on glans and foreskin. At the end of this time, i had what i believed to be the start of some atrophy. I did not have a doctor look at it.

This week i was prescribed Hydrocortisone Acetate 1% for glans eczema, once daily for 5 days.

I have a few questions.
1. Given the period of time that i used viaderm (2xdaily for 10 days) was there a risk of penile skin atrophy given the potency of the steroid in viaderm?

2. If there was atrophy, should i expect that in the 11 weeks that has followed the skin would have regenerated sufficiently that Hydrocortisone 1% would not pose a risk for any damage?

3. The hydrocortisone would be considered safe for daily use for 5 days?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viaderm KC cream won't cause atrophy in 10 days, hydrocortisone is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.
Viaderm KC won't cause atrophy of penile skin in 10 days.
It won't cause atrophy even if used for 3 weeks regularly.
Even if you are atributing any atrophy due to use of Viaderm KC cream it would have resolved completely in 11 weeks.
Hydrocortisone is a very mild steroid which can be safely used for 5 days without causing any side effects.
I hope to have answered your queries and would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Thank you very much for getting back to me.

I was worried that 2xdaily use of the steroid in Viaderm, triamcinolone, for 10 days would be harmful on glans & penis as it was a medium potency steroid and my understanding that the penis absorbs more then other skin. I appreciate you setting my mind at ease.

How long would be considered to be a safe duration for use of Hydrocortisone Acetate 1% in the event that the inflammation doesn't clear up in the 5 days prescribed?

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hydrocortisone cream can be safely used for 3-4 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hydrocortisone cream can be safely used on the penile skin for 3-4 weeks.
It won't cause any side effects.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee