• question-icon

Can Ventolin be given for infants?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi
For a seven months old who is 10 kg. . can we use ventolin syrup to clear his coughing. doctor had given to him at 3.5ml twice a day (syrup is 2mg/5mL) but pharmacist had mentioned it's not normal to give this syrup for babies so young.. he is also on antibiotics.. is it OK to take? he is very uncomfortable and coughing a lot.. is the dosage ok?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation would help. You can give Ventorlin syrup

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Ventorlin syrup can be given to a child of this age or even younger. The dose seems proper. But it need not be given unless wheezing, noisy respiration or respiratory distress is present. Since you have intiated antibiotics, please complete the couse.

Give the child steam inhalation. Sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. Water in form of vapor will reach deep inside and will dilute the cough and would provide relief.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician