Can Venlift, Rivotril and Ativan be taken together for depression and anxiety?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Dear doctor presently I am using venlift od 150 mg ( 2 capsules ) to overcome depression. It is not unknown. It is the problems which I am facing int he life.
Secondly I am facing the problem of Generalised Anxiety Disorder for which I am taking rivotril 2mg once in a day or more. I want to get rid of this rivotril.
Third I am, having social phobia means I cant express my facial feelings freely. My face become freeze. I am using this upto 150 mg.
Fourth when I am having panic attacks I am using atovin 2 mg. one tab in a day. Kindly suggest which is the best medicine which I can ovrercome panic attack.

Doctor please tell me whehter the combination of above medicines or good or not. Whehter all the medicnes are good. KINDLY TELL ME I WANT TO OVERCOME THHIS PROBLEM AND STOP THE MEDICINES.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The medicines are right

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

I can understand your concern. You are on Venlafaxine which is a SNRI drug and is a good antidepressant and anti anxiety drug. The drug is right drug for anxiety, depression and social phobia too. If your symptoms are under control or if you feel better with this medicine then no need to change the drug.

For GAD you are taking Rivotril or Clonazepam and for panic attacks you are on Ativan or Lorazepam 2 mg. Both of these are Benzodiazepines. If you are taking these drugs daily then that might lead to problems of tolerance and dependence in future. You can stop taking Ativan on daily basis and make this on SOS basis. This will help in controlling panic symptoms in emergency and will reduce one drug too. If your doctor agrees then drugs like Propranolol can be added. The drug is safe in terms of dependence and will help to control panic attacks. The drug has great efficacy in panic symptoms. You can talk with your doctor for this.

Thanks and Take care
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 15 hours later
Dear Doctor. I am taking the following medicines.

Recently I started Ativan 2 mg apart from Venlift OD 150 mg (2 cap), Rivotril 2mg (1), Propranolol (80mg morning, 40 AN, 40 Evening). I started one week ago. So as per your suggestion, I will take Venlift OD 150 mg, Rivotril 2mg & Inderal. I think these medicines are more than suffice.

Doctor also kindly suggest me, eventhough I take all these medicines, Panic Attack (inc. of heartbeat, inc. of breathing, unable to talk etc). Kindly suggest exact medicine which can control Panic Attack [becoz of this I am unable to take part in the social activies, arguments etc.]

Kindly tell me when should I contact u again.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Combination drugs can help

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

For control of acute exacerbations of anxiety or panic attacks medicines like combination of Clonazepam and Propranolol or Etizolam and Propranolol can be used. These drug combinations will help to control panic symptoms. Avoid using these drugs regularly and use on SOS basis only. This should help you. You can talk with your doctor for that.

Thanks