Can Valparin Chrono cause memory loss?
my son is diagonised with general epilepsy
I would like to observe
Welcome to HCM
I can understand your concern.
Behavioral changes,loss of memory and in coordination can be due to side effects of valproic acid.
But as mood changes is a very common problem in this age in otherwise healthy child,it would be difficult to say whether it is due to valproic acid.
The valparin chrono is slow releasing preparation of valproic acid.
The common side effects are hepatitis,thrombocytopenia,weight gain etc.
The dose he is getting is 600/day.The average weight of 9 kg old child is about 30 kgs.The maximum dose of valproic acid is 60 mg/kg/day.
So the given dose is mot very high.
In this case I would like to observe the child.If it is transient behavioral change it should get improved within few days say 7-14 days but if it persist or you notice any other significant problem get him evaluated by a pediatrician.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting