• question-icon

Can Valium be taken safely instead of Xanax?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: Doc gave me 0.25 Xanax it I want to change to valium what is the valium doses exchange
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's tricky

Detailed Answer:
The key point is that you are talking about the most rapidly removed type of benzodiazepine (xanax...working for about 4 hrs) versus the longest acting one (diazepam/valium working for about 12 hrs).

Depends.
If used for sleep, I dont recommend valium you will be sleepy the next day but, obviousy the smallest dose 2 mg or maybe half of a 2 mg valium BUT, using it 12 hrs before when you want to be awake might be a good option ( 8pm maybe 5 pm NOT midnight)

if used for episodes that can be scheduled (dentist, MRI, flying) then 2 mg.

if someone has liver disease, don't take valium

if it is all the time as a preventative, then valium is better, but cognitive behavioral therapy (there are good apps for it!) or antidepressants with anxiety effects like paxil or remeron are probably better. In either case the dose needs adjust ment and you would start on the lowest dose ( 2 mg twice a day) and work upward weekly.

0.25 is often good; it is really really rare that addicts use the very lowest dose.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist