Can Uvox, Sizodon and Ativan be taken safely during pregnancy?
I was on antidpressants since XXXXXXX 2015. I was taking 1) Uvox 100 (twice a day) 2) Sizodon 2 mg (twice a day) and 3) Ativan 2 mg (once a day). Later after a month the dosage was reduced to 1) Sizodon 1 mg (twice a day), 2) Ativan 1 mg (once a day) and Uvox 100 being the same.
After a month again, the dosage was further reduced to 1) Sizodon 0.25 mg (alternate days), Ativan 1 mg and Uvox being the same.
However, due to non-availability of Ativan, I have stopped taking it since Oct 23, 2015.
I was confirmed with pregnancy on Oct 29, 2015 (7weeks). On informing my Psychiatrist suggested to stop 1)Sizodon and 2) Uvox BUT TO CONTINUE Ativan 0.5 mg per day. However, I have completely stopped all the medication since Oct 29, 2015.
I am very much worried about the adverse effects of the medication that I took till 7th week of my pregnancy. Many of my friends says that these days it has become very common for some pregnant women to be on higher doses of Antideps during entire pregnancy and there is nothing to worry. However, I am unable to come out of my worry about my Baby's growth. Pls help me.
No need to worry
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Sizodone (risperidone) is a FDA category C drug which means that animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans. Moreover, there is nothing to worry as it has effects on the fetus if used in the third trimester.
Ativan (lorazepam) also is a category C drug and is shown to have adverse effects on the fetus if used in third trimester.
I suggest you not to worry, as there are almost nil chance of any effect on the fetus.
You should get a detailed anomaly scan at 18-20 weeks of pregnancy to rule out any congenital anomaly in the fetus.
Positive thoughts and attitude is good for your growing fetus, so be optimistic.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr Deepti Verma
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are side effects of Unwanted 72 taken to stop pregnancy?
- What are the chances of pregnancy through unprotected sex without...
- What causes vaginal bleeding after having I pill?
- What causes delay in menstruation after taking I-pill?
- What causes dizziness after having Percocet?
- What causes delay in period despite having I pill after unprotected sex?
- What causes heavier menstruation while taking Progesterone during...
- What causes constipation, whitish bumps on nipples and pink spotting?
- What causes bleeding from vagina while urinating?
- What are the different methods of safe abortion?