Can Ursodiol cause weight gain?
I did lose the weight by severe calorie and fat reduction but the weight seems to go up again. I have primary biliary cirrhosis stage 4 but more compensated than de-comp. I do not have ascites. Could the urso be the cause?
Also, my belly button has protruded and the Dr. said a hernia could be the cause.
He did not seem to be sure, and I wonder if the portal hypertension could be the cause? my portal pressure was moderately on the higher side of normal.
I take Lasix 40mg and spirolactone 25 mg and Coumadin 5 mg for my stroke 2 years ago.
my liver panel was perfect, ast, alt, bilirubin, albumin, alkaline phosphates etc.
Awaiting your reply
Hi back and sorry for my late.
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:
1. with regards to ursobil side effecst like increase weigh, it is an uncommon side effect and too rarely.
2. You are telling about biliary cirrhosis and I would like to know if you have used cortisone therapy?
Usually it si common to have weight increase after cortisone use.
3.Otherwise if you don't have abdominal ascitic liquid your weight is not related with cirrhosis.
I would like to know if you have changed your diet recently or if your physical activity has been decreased during this time?
You need to check glucose level and HbcA1 to rule out diabetes.
Meantime I would suggest to increase physical activity.
Hope it was helpful to you.
I eat low fat meals and some carbs. My glucose level is normal and have always been
Please respond about my belly button protruding. Is it likely a hernia or from elevated moderate portal hypertension? My exercise routine is the same 30 minutes 6 days a week for years.
The other online Gastro Dr. mentioned taking sylamarin for PBC stage 4.
Is this by Rx or over the counter/
What do you think and could it be harmful to me?
Please follow below explanations
I am answering your questions step by step:
1.Please respond about my belly button protruding. Is it likely a hernia or from elevated moderate portal hypertension?
Belly button perturbation is most likely to be related with umbilical hernia than portal hypertension.
Since you don't have abdominal ascites that there is no reason for umbilical perturbation.
2.What do you think and could it be harmful to me? With regards to sylamarine use It is not harmful. It can protect liver cells.
You can find it over the counter drug.
Otherwise it has not a magnificent effect on liver PBC stage 4.
Hope it was helpful to you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome due to mild lupus. Have...
- Had sinus infection and prescribed with amox clav. Recommended to have...
- Using anti wrinkle cream with Retinol. Lips peeling and crackling....
- What causes feeling of foul taste coming from stomach when i burp?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and vomiting post hip surgery
- Is it normal to have spillage from fistulectomy wound?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain
- What causes dark stools and itchy anus?
- What causes burning in the upper part of throat?
- What does elevated CA level indicate?