Can Tylenol cause elevated MCV level?

General Surgeon
Question
My mcv level is elevated and my doctor has suggested too much alcohol. I am 64, female and drink 4- 5 alcoholic beverages per week, each on separate days. On rare celebratory days that may increase to 2 drinks in one day. My dr asked me to cut out all alcohol as I may be overly sensitive to it. I am alcohol free for 2 months and have 2 more to go before retest. I recently wondered if the elevated mcv could be due to acetaminaphine. I often have back pain and or spasms, which I have often treated with arthritis strength Tylenol. Could the Tylenol cause the elevated mcv level?
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tylenol unlikely cause in your case

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Tylenol (paracetamol alone) is not a cause of increase in mcv in your case. The only situation where tylenol do cause raised mcv is after acute failure of liver (elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin, encephalopathy) which is not there in your case.

In your case cause is alcohol itself. It has direct effect on bone marrow and also it causes deficiency of vitamin b12 and folate causing raised mcv(megaloblastic anemia).

Hope I have answered your query. If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil

Follow-up: Can Tylenol cause elevated MCV level? 3 hours later
What would cause such sensitivity? Is this genetic? Or could it be an effect of having a problem with 6MP? Eight to ten years ago my body quit making blood when I was taking 6MP for inflammatory bowel disease. Would that damage the bone marrow and cause this?

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below answer

Detailed Answer:

Women are more sensitive to alcohol intake because
-less lean muscle mass
-age again reduces this mass and increase sensitivity
-women have more body fat with less water to dilute the alcohol
-the enzyme needed to remove alcohol from body is less in women
-due to fluctuation of oestrogen levels.

These are causes why women are more sensitive. Also it is effected by genetics.

It is unlikely that your condition is caused by 6MP because
-6MP decrease white blood cells , red blood cells and platelets which is not there in you
-6MP cause anemia which have normal mcv level.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil