Can Tussin CF be taken along with Ramipril and Carvedilol?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My wife is taking Ramipril (2.5 mg) and Carvedilol (6.25 mg). She currently has a cold with stuffy nose and coughing a lot of mucus. I want to know if it is safe to give Tussin CF which contains dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, and phenylephrine hcl.

I should add some background. She had a heart attack and a stroke 15 years ago. She now has severe congestive heart failure, diabetes or pre diabetes without medication, compromised renal function.
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No Tussin CF is not a good medication for your wife

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
Thank your for a comprehensive history as it helps me take a well balanced decision for the patient.
No I am not in favour of the cold medication you have mentioned particularly the phenyephrine component it would worsen the already bad congestive heart failure and push her in decomposition. Also the blood pressure surge which it can cause is not good for her .
Any cold medication sans phenylephrine should be Good .
Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy