Can Tridural ER or Cipralex cause heart irregularities on EKG?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 48 yr old old mail with no history of cardiac problems and excellent health other than depression and back pain from an MVA.
Can tridural ER or cipralex cause heart irregularities on EKG?

Sometimes when I lay down my heart rate accelerates.

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cipralex side effects....

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Yes, you are right. The cardiac problems you are facing might be due to cipralex use. I highly recommend to consult with cardiologist and to run ECG to evaluate the status of your heart further.

Please bare in mind that cipralex might cause prolonged QT and other more serious arrhythmias that could lead to torsades de pointes.

Once again, please check this out with your doctor as soon as possible and to discuss to adjust the dose of cipralex.

All the best!
Dr.Benard

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 21 minutes later
What would be a good alternative medication?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tricyclic antidepressant&complementary therapy...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

Please bare in mind that Cipralex is an antidepressant drug of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. There is another drug class to treat depression named tricyclic anti-depressants. You can discuss this further with your doctor.

Psychological approach is also advise (psycho-therapy) to help you get out of depressive status you are in.

If cardiac tests would show possible arrhythmia, you might need to adjust the dose and not completely stop this drug.

Hope it answered your query!
Dr.Benard