question-icon

Can Trazadone cause false positive result for Methamphetamine in urine drug test?

Posted on Thu, 10 Dec 2015
Question: I am under a physicians care for depression. I currently am prescribed xanax, zoloft, and trazadone for my condition. I am on probation in the state of Ks for an alcohol violation. I took a uranalysis test on October 9th. The test came back positive for methamphtemines! My monitor told me she had to report it to the court even though it was just above the allowable test specrptrum. I am terrified and my depression is once again becoming a problem. Can trazadone cause a false positives for this drug?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, it can cause false positive result

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM.
I have gone through your query.
False positive result can occur. Trazodone can be responsible for the false positive result of methamphatemine.
Meta-chlorophenylpiperazine (m-CPP), a trazodone metabolite.

Studies have found that patients taking trazodone can produce urine with sufficient m-CPP to result in false-positive Amphetamines results.

In nutshell, I can say that, studies have found that Trazodone can produce false positive result for methamphetamine.

I'll be glad to address your further question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Harish Naik