Can Toprol cause increased heart rate?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What are your thoughts on Toprol XP from a personal point of view. My heart races way over 100 & only comes down when I sit or liedown.
Pleaase include side effects - not from the Literature - from personal experence or from otheer patients.
Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs dose adjustment and evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read yoru question and i understand your concern. Increased heart rate with toprol is less reported. its rather reduced heart rate ( bradycardia ) which sows up as side effect while using toprol in patients. Skipping the pill might cause reflex tachycardia and is commonly reported as withdrawal symptom. Also with prolonged usage, low doses get insufficient and increasing the dose might be considered as increasing heart rate indicates insufficient response of beta blockers.

Talk to your cardiologist and let them shuffle the dose for you and decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan