• question-icon

Can Thyronorm dose be taken at night?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Can I take my hypothyroid medicine i.e thyronorm 50 mg at night instead of day? I usually forget to take it first thing everyday.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About levothyroxine treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Usually the best time suggested to take levothyroxine is fasting in the morning. It is confirmed that it is absorbed better with empty stomach.
But, there are studies that confirm also a good absorption if taken in the evening 2-3 hours after dinner.
So you may start to take it in the evening but after 6 weeks TSH should be checked to confirm that it is absorbed normally.
Hope i have been helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 hours later
Thank you so much for the detailed and helpful answer. I also want to know about the best time and way to get my thyroid blood test done. Should I be fasting when I get it done? Can I take the medicine before my blood test or Should I take it after I've given blood for the test. I have gotten it done both ways, however, when I test after taking the medicine it shows thyroid function normal and if i get it done without taking the medicine then my tsh is increased and I wonder which one is correct?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
About TSH level;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

TSH shows indirectly the thyroid function and needs a period of 6 weeks to get changed.

So, rather you check it before or after taking the tablet, it will not make any difference, because it shows the mean level of 6 weeks.

Anyway, it is recommended to be checked during fasting before taking the tablet.

Ft4 and Ft3 should be checked fasting, before taking levothyroxine or 4 hours after it, they are affected by the daily dose.

Wish you good health.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist