question-icon

Can Thyronorm Be Continued If Side-effects Like Acidity And Palpitations Occur?

Posted on Fri, 13 Oct 2017
Question: Hello Doctor my TSH is 2.96. Do I have to Continue my 25mcg Thyronorm. I am having lot of side effects like hyper acidity, palpitations. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are more important than lab values.

Detailed Answer:

Symptoms are important and not the lab values.
I assume you had a general TSH test and had no clinical problem like any symptom. If you were not having symptoms when your TSH was 4.55 I would not have recommended in the first place.
Now if you are having palpitations, acidity and constipation, I would suggest to reduce the dose to 12.5mcg and continue for 6 weeks. Then you retest TSH.
I suggest to meet a trained doctor like an Endocrinologist and not anyone.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam