question-icon

Can Tetracycline be taken for acne while experiencing digestive issues like gastroenteritis?

Posted on Thu, 24 Jun 2021
Question: Hi
I've been struggling for a couple of months now with soft stools and bloated gassy stomach. My problem started more or less after I have had a 3-4 day strong gastroenteritis a 3-4 months ago, since then my stomach has been feeling bloated on and off and I've had soft stools / diarrhea ever since, some days I struggle to even go to the toilet and other days I feel more like diarrhea and can go 2-3 times a day.

My stomach feels very active and I feel bloated around the navel, I don't feel like I pass a lot of gas, instead it feels like it remains and gives no real relief. I use the toilet between 1 and 3 times a day and mostly the toilet visit is low in volume, but gassy and the stools are in smaller pieces and weird shapes, they seem very soft and can leave the toilet bowel water unlcear.

I've also noticed that the consistency looks and feel like small soft solid pieces, almost like big pieces of fibre that stick to itself and they are often floating in the water, sometimes they fall under the water after a couple of minutes and there appears to be mucus with my toilet visits also I don't feel like I can finish entirely, I feel done after 1-2 minutes but like there's more that won't come out.

I've always had bouts of diarrhea in the past, but this time it has remained since the infection more or less.

I've gotten a prescribtion of Tetracycline for acne, can I take them with these symptoms and could the antibiotics be any help with this matter too or worsen it?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (14 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It would worsen the symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query,
Tetracycline is going to kill good bacterias in your gut and in this way can make the problem more complex.
Take a probiotic along with tetracycline to counter the effect of antibiotic.To maximize the beneficial effect of the probiotics, take them at least 2 hours apart from your dosage of antibiotics. This way as few as possible of the 'good bacteria' will get killed by the antibiotics in your gut.
Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar (7 hours later)
Hi doctor

I've noticed that my stools are very soft and appear to be very sticky, like jelly or mucus like. It's a little lighter than normal in color, but it sticks a lot to paper and to itself when I tried pushing it around.

I have been to the doctor today, but they haven't done any testing and said it sounds like IBS. But I'm just getting nervous here, is it normal to have gooey diarrhea and a bloated cramping stomach?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (23 hours later)
Brief Answer:
All are features of IBS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear as explained earlier these are all characterstic feature of IBs.
You could have diarrhea constipation or both of them at same time.
Intially go for the following investigations-
Ultrasound abdomen
Conoscopy
Stool test any professional advice can be given after that only.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist