Can Tamsulosin for treating enlarged prostate cause UTI?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I Pete 20-30 times day...sometimes 6-7 in 1 hour = ?????
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Most likely to be urinary tract infection complicating prostate enlargement.

Detailed Answer:

In the medication history, you have noted that you are taking Tamsulosin, this is usually prescribed to reduce the size of the enlarged prostate.

In this setting, a urinary tract infection is very common and will manifest as increased urgency, frequency and difficulty in passing urine.

I request you to kindly confirm the same and also please do tell me, from how long have you been suffering from these symptoms and have you had any recent intervention performed for the prostate?

I urge you to drink plenty of water, cranberry juice is even better.

You must get your urine examined under a microscope and also get urine culture and sensitivity done to find out the organism causing infection.

Based on that appropriate antibiotic such as Norfloxacin or Ciprofloxacin may be started by your treating doctor.

Please do visit your local urologist to get examined and get treated accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Yogesh D, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D