• question-icon

Can Tamoxifen be taken for genital HPV infection?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi. the lady i was with in a previous relationship let me now she had genital warts. I never recieved any symptoms. I have been seeing another woman gor 5 years. I have just noticed I have what appear yo be genital warts. could i have carried this virus as a carrier and also gave it to my partner with out her showing symtons also. she is taking temoxafen could this help trihger the virus?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding genital HPV infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Genital HPV infection is the commonest STD. Infection is silent and the incubation period for it to form genital warts varies from days to months and it is often not possible to ascertain the source of Hpv infection in those who have had more than one sexual partners. Your present warts could either be a silent infection from your previous partner or it could also be a new infection from your present partner. HPV infection can remain clinically silent for months and it is also possible that she already carried the virus from her previous contacts. Therefore whether you gave her the virus or she already had it from someone else is diffucult to know. Tamoxifen has no effect on the virus.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist