Can Synthroid cause low white blood cell count?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I wanted to know if Synthroid can cause white blood cell count to go down. Before starting Synthroid my WBC was 4.8. After taking Synthroid for 9 months my WBC was 3.2. And all my tests from then on have varied from 3.6 to 2.8.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, synthroid does not cause it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
No, synthroid does not cause low white blood cell count.
It is a hormone that normally exists in our body and has very little adjuvants that in very rare cases cause allergic reactions.
If the dose of synthroid has not been the right one, under or over active thyroid symptoms may occur but there is not any reported case with low blood cell count.
Your treating physician should find another cause.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T