Can Suboxone cause lower back pain?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I've been taking suboxone for 10 years now and for the past year and a half I've had nighttime urination issues. Also light spasming where my left kidney is located. I'm 34 year old male non smoker in otherwise good health. Was wondering if prolonged suboxone is damaging my kidney. Another symptom is light brown spots on my chest and back that don't itch and won't go away. Not sure if they're related issues . I'm tapered down to a very low dose now (1mg per day)
Answered by Dr. CS Narayan 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
0.1 to 1 % chance that it could be stone in your kidney

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Lower back or side pain is a very common side effect of this drug which may not always hint at kidney problem. For example, mild degree of constipation could also cause the same.

Buprenorphine has a known very rare side effect profile of causing stones in the kidney to about 0.1 to 1 % of individuals who have used this drug till date. The spasm could be the symptom of the same, but this whole hypothesis can only be one factor among other reasons and will need a quick check with your doctor with some tests like serum creatinine etc that would indicate the health of your kidneys.

Light brown spots are not usually seen with Buprenorphine usage, dry skin is.
You may have to check with your skin doctor for a closer look, if they are growing in size or are getting uncomfortable.

Lowering the dose may help, but not completely. The visit to your doctor is imminent and must apart from your regular follow up.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. CS Narayan 35 minutes later
Forgot to mention a few years ago my Dr found protein in urine during a routine ua
Answered by Dr. CS Narayan 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, seek medical visit.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query.

Small amounts of protein are very common, only higher amounts do point at some condition as far as proteinuria is concerned.

I would not worry much about this, but would suggest you to seek medical attention as advised earlier.

Let me know of further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. CS Narayan