Can Statin cause type 2 diabetes?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I have be diagnosed with Type II diabetes - i am 66 yoa - 5'11" 179 pounds - no history of Diabetes in my family. I walk 3 to 5 miles 5 days a week - am prescribed - Tekturna 300 MG for High BP, have been on various Statins for 35 years starting with Zocor and for the last 11 years Vytorin now EZETIMIBE/SIMVASTATIN, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lovaza, and now Metformin. I eat low carb diet - am a meat and cheese guy - wondering why I have Diabetes - could it be caused by long term use of Statin to lower cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Statins would not cause diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that occurs when you have insufficient insulin secreted from your pancreas. Genetic predisposition is usually present although family history is not mandatory. Therefore, irrespective of your lifestyle you could get diabetes. It is not due to long term use of statins. Rather, statins have a protective role and are essential.

Let me know if I could help further.