Can Sinemet cause abnormal heart rate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Can Ldvdopa or Cinemet cause problems with the heart ie put it into paroxysmal atreial tachacardia?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
abnormal heart rate/rhythms rare side effect

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Sinemet is a combination of levodopa and carbidopa.

Paroxysmal atrial tachycardia is a type of arrhythmia (abnormal rate or rhythm of the heart).
Abnormal rate/rhythms may also be called palpitations

This medication very rarely causes palpitations though they are possible. It is thought that they may occur in 0.1% to 1% of persons who use this medication.

This means that 1 out of 100 to 1 out of 1000 persons who use it may have some abnormal heart rhythm though it may not necessarily be paroxysmal atrial tachycardia, maybe another type.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions