Can Similac and Enfamil formula milk be given to an infant?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: hi, my 7weeks old son is on the regular similac formula. he split up a little sometime, sometime even after he burp but , most of the time , he is fine with it. but I have 3 enfamil from the company, and 3 regular enfamil/2 sensitive one from his doctor. saying that he can use those split up one. but I still have bunch of similac at home. can my 7weeks old using both at the same time, like similac on the morning, and sensitive enfamil at night?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be given together but breast milk is best

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Yes, you can use them together, but rather than doing that my preference would be towards breast milk. Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. Most formula milks are difficult to digest. Moreover they make the child more prone to complications and infections. Mother's breast milk is produced on the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more vigorous is the suck. More is the suck, more is the amount of breast milk produced. Giving formula automatically reduces the demand of the baby and thereby the production of breast milk. All you need to do is to switch back to exclusive breast feeding and the production will increase automatically. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate. If the amount of passage of urine is less or if the child is lethargic you would need to take the child to a doctor without delay.

You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief.

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 48 minutes later
I havery pre eclamsia during labor, seizure , and after I left the hospital in 5 days, I went back to the hospital again due to blood pressure of 180, the doctor told me the medicine will after breastfeeding and I'm a tiny , underweight person, so that give me a problem having enough or any milk. since they said the medicine will affect somehow. I stopped my breastmilk. but anyway, thanks you
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the list of medicines

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. There are a number of medicines that are safe during lactation. Please let me know the list of medicines as well as your present BP and I will guide you further.