Can Silicosis be caused by flint knapping with shale rock?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Question: Hey, i have been doing "Flint knapping" with a shale rock for about 1 hour to maybe 3 hours. This is my first time doing it. Most of it outside. About 20 or 20 minutes in my Room. I am 21 years old. Am I at a risk for Silicosis
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There does not seem to be any risk of silicosis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

In order to develop silicosis, there should be a long history of exposure to silica dust. Since this was your first time XXXXXXX Knapping, there is absolutely no risk of silicosis.
XXXXXXX Knapping for a (longer) prolonged time period (few months-years) can put you at risk for silicosis. You do not need to worry at this point.

Hope this answers your questions
Please let me know if you need further clarifications

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee