Can Sertraline cause sexual dysfunction?

Posted on Wed, 10 May 2017 in Women Sexual Problems
Question: My wife is 51 years old and is now unable to have an orgasm. It has never been a problem until just 3 or 4 months ago. I researched her medication and found that one of the meds that could be a problem, sertraline 100mg once daily. She has been taking it for 9 to 12 months however. She also takes clonazepam 1mg, ½ in the morning and 1mg at bed time. The last medication she takes is bupropn HLC 150mg 1in the morning. I’m not saying that is the problem. She has been taking all of these medications months before the problem occurred. Could it be a combination of these 3 be a possible problem? What else might we look into as a problem? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely is due to the Sertraline.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Of the 3 medications your wife takes, I suspect the Sertraline to be causing the problem. Sertraline is an SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) and this class of medication is notorious for causing sexual dysfunction, particularly failure to have orgasm, in both sexes.

I have noted that she has been taking the Sertraline for 9-12 months without problem until about 3-4 months ago. That is still the most likely cause. It can take months before this problem starts in some people. It may also be, if the other medications have been added more recently, that they are increasing the blood levels or side effects of the Sertraline. In particular, the bupropion may compound the side effects of the Sertraline.

I don't know that I would look much further into the problem of anorgasmia as being due to something else as long as she is on the Sertraline, as SSRIs are truly a common cause of this problem. I recommend she discuss this with her doctor, and possibly the dose can be lowered or a medication change might be considered.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh