Can Sertraline be stopped cold turkey?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking one tablet daily of Sertraline 25mg for pain. Can I stop taking this dosage cold turkey without titration? And if I do what side effects can I expect to experience if any?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Better to stop gradually

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, it isn't better to taper the dose to avoid withdrawal symptoms . since your daily dose is less than 50 mg you should expect the withdrawal symptoms to be minimal. but still they can occur. withdrawal symptoms include anger, anexity, stomach and abdominal cramps, crying spells, decreased appetite, depression, dizziness , fatigue , flu like symptoms, headache , insomnia, mode swings, panic attacks,l and poor concentration. you should expect withdrawal symptoms to subside after an average of 3 weeks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana