Can Seroquel cause weight gain?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Does the drug seraquol itself put in weight or is it just the hunger that makes yoi want to eat more?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
cause weight gain by multiple mechanisms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.

I can understand your concerns.

Seroquel does can weight gain.
Although the mechanism by which it can cause weight gain is not clear.

The proposed reasons are: increase in appetite, alteration in appetite hormones, promoting fat storage in the body, decreasing metabolism.

But it DOES cause weight gain.

Hope this answers your query satisfactorily.

You are welcome for more queries.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 9 minutes later
What type of diet can i do to prevent outting weight on. Can i loose weight on it. Im already a big guy dont need this
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
avoid junk food, sugars.

Detailed Answer:
You can avoid carbohydrate rich diet, junk food.

Increase your water intake. Take fibrous foods more.

Physical exercises daily for 30minutes 6 days a week should be done.

Loosing weight will take time after you stop the drug.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.