Can Seroquel be used as an antidepressant?
What is the effective dose of Seroquel for anxiety as I am currently on 25mg 3 times daily and I am still very anxious.My psychiatrist did say a week ago when I first started it that I may need to double the dose. Thank you Regards Rick
It acts in both ways like antidepressant and benzo
Thanks for writing back again. Your question is very good from technical point of view.
Seroquel acts on many receptors. It is a dopamine, serotonin, and adrenergic antagonist, and a potent antihistamine drug.
Exact mechanism of its effects in anxiety problem is not proven. It has shown effectiveness in some drugs trial for anxiety disorder but yet not approved by FDA due to concern of side effects.
Adrenergic Alpha 1 and Histaminic H1 antagonism are responsible for sedation and sympatholytic activity. These effects are like benzo and help in anxiety problem immediately. But simultaneously they are responsible for side effects like sedation and postural hypo tension.
Serotonergic 5HT2A, Dopaminergic D2 antagonism 5HT1A partial agonism is responsible for its effect like antidepressant (SSRI) in anxiety disorder. This effect takes time for 3-4 weeks to show clinical improvement.
In clinical trials dose of seroquel for anxiety disorder was ranging from 150 to 300 mg in divided dosage. Most of the studies have used extended release (xr) preparation to reduce side effects.
According to above information you need to increase the dose as suggested by your doctor.
Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Use of seroquel for insomnia
- Use of seroquel in dementia
- Does seroquel used for insomnia also help depression
- Seroquel used for sleep aid
- Is seroquel an antidepressant
- Seroquel uses for sleep
- Is seroquel used for anxiety
- Most used antidepressants
- Is seroquel meant only for short term use
- Most commonly used antidepressant
- Can Chlorpromazine and Sodium Valproate Sandoz be taken in pregnancy?
- Suggest treatment for OCD
- Suggest treatment for delayed ejaculation
- How to wean off of Trazadone?
- What causes anxiety and visual problems after taking psychedelic mushrooms?
- Suggest treatment for anxiety
- What causes drowsiness during day time?
- Can Solian and Lexapro be taken together?
- Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction caused by over masturbation
- Suggest an alternative treatment for premature ejaculation