• question-icon

Can Septran be given for infants?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: is septran syrup ( 2.5 ml twice per day ) safe against loose motions for a 5 month old baby?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Septran syrup is safe for this age if there is no known allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Most common cause of loose motion in this age is some viral infection.Septran is an antibiotic contains trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole.
Septran is contraindicated below 2 months of age but it can be given in bacterial infection of intestine in 5 months of age.The dose is 5-8mg/kg/day.Each 5 ml of septran contains 30 mg so 5 ml/day is adequate for 4-6 kgs baby.
Septran contains sulfur compound and it should be avoided in case of known allergy.
As 5 months of age is too early for allergic history so if there is no significant history in parents with sulfur compound it can be given safely.
Septran can cause vomiting,skin reaction or some blood disorder as it's side effects.In case you notice any of these stop giving and consult your pediatrician.

Maintain proper hydration by giving adequate fluid (frequent feeds and ORS).Giving proboitics and zinc helps in early recovery.
If there is frequent vomiting,decreased urine output or baby is getting lethargic consult your physician.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any queries.
Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology