Can Sarcoid cause cardiac problems?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had Sarcoid since 2003. I am 57, have HTN, Type 2 DM, Hypothyroid and now being worked up due to A-Fib, PVC s and SVT . My stress echo showed poor movement of the posterior wall of the heart. Finally my question--What is the likelihood this cardiac problems are due to the Sarcoid? Are there any special testing we should do? An EP study and cardiac XXXXXXX are scheduled.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that there definitely exists a possibilty that these all can be because of sarcoidosis . Your doctor has rightly scheduled your tests but in my opinion S. ACE levels , S. Calcium levels and Cardiac PET Scan should also be done for assessing the sarcoid activity .

It seems to be due to sarcoid only and hypertension and diabetes can also play an additional role .

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D