Can STD be detected through urine or blood tests?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Does STD treatement (Chlamydia/Gonorrhea) require confirmation of blood test before a treatment will generally be given?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
For sexual partners testing is not mandatory but recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (Dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Partners of confirmed cases of gonorrhea and/ or chlamydia are treated empirically as part of strategy to prevent recurrences and further spread of infection. You don't need to test however it would be ideal if you too get tested for a complete STD panel including Hiv. Testing for gonorrhea/ chlamydia is not based on a blood test; it is a NAAT based test and is usually either a swab test from urethra or a urine test. However, you would be offered empirical treatment since you are the sexual partner.