Can STD be contracted through unprotected sex?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: Hi Doctor,

Recently (5 days ago) i was exposed to unprotected sex (condom broke) with a girl that claims to be clean but i need to get tested fast to be sure that all is ok. so i was informed that the fastest test for most STD's would be through PCR RNA.
What is the shortest window period i should wait post exposure to get tested for the following:
1. HIV
2. Hepatitis(HBV, HCV, HAV)
3. Herpes

Thanks and Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Three months recommended.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic, I am Dr Muhammd Ahmad, I have closely read your question and I understand your concerns, I will hereby guide you regarding your health related problem.

Safe window period to detect these dieases is 3 months as before that they might come positive but a negative result wont rule out the disease , in my opinion you can get all the tests for detection of HIV..HBV..HCV and herpes after 3 month.

Here I would also want to mention that HAV doesn't usually get transmitted as a result of sexual intercourse. I would suggest you not to panic and wait till three month from contact.

If there are no symptoms of any disease you can safely get tested after three months of contact and if those tests are negative you are safe.

I hope this answered your question, if you have more feel free to ask,otherwise close the discussion and rate it.

Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.
General and Family Physician..
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 19 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Many thanks for your reply.
Im kind of anxious to find out sooner, if i go for the PCR RNA testing can the window period be less than 3 months?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A negative test will be doubtful.

Detailed Answer:
hello thanks for writing back, as I said you can get test after one month if it is positive you have the disease , but a negative test doesn't mean no disease and your concern and anxiety would stay there.

so its recommended to get the tests done after three months just to be sure.

best regards

dr Ahmad