Can STD be contracted through unprotected oral sex?
I would like to know what could be the causes and what tests I should have to determine what it might be.
It is most likely due to dehydration or bacterial overgrowth
Hello. Thank you for writing to us
I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
You seem to have a coated tongue which is white in appearance.
A coated tongue is usually only temporary. It isn't a disease and isn't usually a sign of anything serious. Moreover candida/thrush as a result of HIV (which i thinj woyld your main fear)won't manifest so soon. Most likely your white tongue is due to dehydration and retention of dead cells. You can try gently brushing it with a tongue scraper and drinking plenty of water to help it improve. In addition you may also use an antibacterial mouthwash.
Nevertheless yoy myst screen for all stds since your sexual contact was unprotected.
Today my tongue doesn't seem to be white anymore but I still have enlarged circumvallate papillae. I used saline water to rinse my mouth before I went to bed.
I wanted to ask if you think it's more likely this is from an STD or from something else?
My sleep still has not been good but my hydration level is very good.
What changes should I look out for?
use a mouth wash
No. This is not due to any STD. None of he STDs present with this clinical picture.
It is most likely a transient change that would resolve with simple measures of oral hygiene. Sometimes whitish appearance of tongue can be due to candida infection/ thrush. You may use a mouthwash e.g betadine mouthwash to take care of it.
How long should it take for this symptom to go away?
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Had unprotected oral sex could i have got hiv
- Had unprotected oral sex will it affect my child
- Had unprotected oral sex got blood spots is this serious
- Engaged in unprotected oral sex risk of chalymadiagonorheasyphilous and cmv
- Had unprotected oral sex concerned of contracting hpv
- Can hiv be transmitted through unprotected oral sex
- Can unprotected oral sex lead to hiv
- Unprotected oral sex tingling sensation in penis chances of std
- Can unprotected oral sex cause penis irritation
- Had unprotected oral sex is there a risk of pregnancy