Can STD be contracted through unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: 8 weeks ago i had a very brief sexuall encounter with a female. I started with a condom and then penetrated her once without a condom (which lasted about 5 seconds) because it was small and uncomfortable. She told me a week later she had chlamydia. I treated myself and two weeks later was tested for chlamydia gohnarrea siphillis and hiv all of wich i tested negative. I asked her before hand of she had any stds and she told me no. It was a one time encounter. I just wanted to ask am I at high risk of contracting genital warts and hepes? Its been nearly nine weeks, I have had no symptoms. I feel very guilty and anxious because i am in a longterm relationship of 6 years and we have unprotected sex all the time. Im not proud of what ive done but It was a mistake and the guilt of it is eating me up
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clinically the chances are negligible.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for various STDs especially for herpes and genital warts.

I have diligently analyzed your query and noted your concern. After proper analysis let me reassure you first that overall there are negligible or frankly saying no chance of getting herpes or warts.

It is on the basis of the fact that the unprotected intercourse was only for few seconds which is actually not very significant in terms of catching the infection.

Elaborating it more one can get any of these infection if the other person is infected by the above and then there is intercourse of more than few minutes with friction or cuts or abrasions in the partners.

Additionally if the partner has active visible infection then also the chances are more. I your case I can't find any of the above.

Clinically also I counsel many of your kind cases with similar episodes. The good news is that I have never found any positive case of warts or herpes.

So relax yourself and allay all your fears.

I hope this helps.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 15 minutes later
Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good health.

Detailed Answer:
Dear young fellow,

Thanks a lot for using our forum. I wish healthy life to you.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases.