• question-icon

Can STD be contracted through protected sex?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have sex with multiple partners but always use a condom. Is it customary to get tested every six months for stds or is it more customary to only get tested if you don't use a condom by accident?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest regular STD screening

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us,

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

For you, it is advisable to get routinely tested at regular intervals (every 3-6 months) because not all STDs are preventable with a condom and also if you practice other forms of sexual acts like Oral sex which may be unprotected.

Genital herpes (HSV) and Genital Warts (HPV) can be transmitted even with a condom on though the risk of transmission is less as compared to unprotected sex, so it is advisable to get screened regularly. However, a condom if used regularly and rightly, it is protective against most other STDs like HIV, gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis.

Unprotected sex though warrants full panel STD screening including HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and HSV.

Feel free to ask further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist