Can STD be contracted through non-penetrative sexual activity?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi Doctor,
The other night I received a lap dance. I had my underwear on as well as her. There was allot of friction back and forth where my genital area touched hers, but with both our underwear on. I even rubbed her a little bit and then touched my genital area but her underwear was still on. What are the chances I can contract and STD from this type of activity? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No risk of STDs

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
STDs are only passed on during direct/intimate sexual contact, most commonly unprotected in nature, that involves contact with infected genital mucous membranes and /or exchange of genital secretions. You don't have any chance of getting an STD from this particular physical contact as there was no contact between genital mucosae or exchange of genital fluids, semen or vaginal discharge.