• question-icon

Can STD be contracted through non-penetrative sexual activity?

Posted on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi I had a message the other day, then got a hand job, she spit on my penis with no mouth contact I am now worried to death that I have maybe got an std from that should I get tested for this ?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes is tha only real risk that exists in your case

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

Skin to skin massage and handjob are absolutely safe practices with no risk of any STD.
As far as the act of spitting is concerned, the only real risk that exists for an STD in this case, is that of Genital Herpes, provided she already had oro-labial herpes (e.g history of cold sores) and had virus particles in her salivary secretions which may have been passed on to your genital mucosa through spitting.
Theoretically, an infected secretion (e.g genital secretions, XXXXXXX blood or blood contaminated salivary secretions) that comes in contact with genital mucosa can be a source of infection for Hiv, syphilis. Therefore theoretically almost all STD can be transmitted through saliva e.g syphilis (in case she had syphilitic sores in her oral mucosa or bleeding sores that might have contaminated salivary secretions); Hiv (from blood contaminated salivary secretions in case she had bleeding sores in her mouth). Gonorrhea and chlamydia too can infect throat mucosa and may be transmitted through saliva however, these are all theoretical possibilities and most of these STD's i.e Hiv, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis are usually transmitted through unprotected genital, anal Or oral sex with an infected sexual partner.
The only real and practical risk that exists of an STD through an act of spitting, is that of genital herpes.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Thanks for the infornation, how long should i wait to get tested i just wanna have piece of mind?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest an ELISA for Hsv type 1& 2, IgG at 12-16 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Measuring IgG value with ELISA for Hsv type 1 & 2, would be taken as confirmatory of your status, at 12-16 weeks.
An IgG index value for Hsv type 1& 2 that is <0.90 is taken as negative

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist